This tool traces an open B-spline curve from its control points.
A B-spline curve made from 4 points (in white). Pictured are the control polygon in green (the straight lines connecting the red points), the weight circles in blue and the curvature comb in green. The (3) digit in the centre refers to the degree of the B-spline, and the (4) digits at the ends of the curve refer to their knot multiplicity.
How to use
- Press the Create B-spline button.
- Create a series of points by clicking in the 3D view. While the command is active, the created points are connected with straight lines, and a construction circle is created centred on each point.
- Right-click to terminate the input and generate the curve.
- Depending on preferences, the tool may remain active to trace a new curve. Right-click again to exit the command.
- It is possible to define the weight of the control points by changing the radii of the weight circles. The equality constraints on the circles need to be deleted first. The radius constraint is arbitrary, the weight of the control points will be defined by the relative radii of the circles. It works similar to gravity: the bigger a circle is in relation to the others, the more the curve will be attracted to the control point.
- The visibility of the control polygon, the curvature comb, the degree and the knot multiplicity can be toggled on/off from the B-spline tools toolbar.
- Check out the other tools in the B-spline tools toolbar for more B-spline editing tools.
- Many types of constraints are not supported at this time. Only the B-spline's control point and end points can be constrained.
- Trimming and extend tools are not supported.
- The shape of a B-spline curve can only be edited by dragging one of the control points. The knots lying on the curve cannot be selected.
- Sketcher geometries: Point, Line by 2 point, Create an arc, Arc, Arc by 3 Point, Create a circle, Circle, Circle by 3 Point, Create a conic, Ellipse by center, Ellipse by 3 points, Arc of ellipse, Arc of hyperbola, Arc of parabola, Create a B-spline, Create B-spline, Create periodic B-pline, Polyline (multiple-point line), Rectangle, Create regular polygon, Triangle, Square, Pentagon, Hexagon, Heptagon, Octagon, Create Regular Polygon, Slot, Fillet, Trimming, Extend, External Geometry, CarbonCopy, Construction Mode
- Sketcher constraints
- Geometric constraints Coincident, Point On Object, Vertical, Horizontal, Parallel, Perpendicular, Tangent, Equal Length, Symmetric, Constrain Block
- Dimensional constraints Lock, Horizontal Distance, Vertical Distance, Distance, Radius, Internal Angle, Snell's Law, Internal Alignment, Toggle reference/driving constraint,
- Sketcher tools Select solver DOFs, Close Shape, Connect Edges, Select Constraints, Select Origin, Select Vertical Axis, Select Horizontal Axis, Select Redundant Constraints, Select Conflicting Constraints, Select Elements Associated with constraints, Show/Hide internal geometry, Symmetry, Clone, Copy, Move, Rectangular Array, Delete All Geometry, Delete All Constraints
- Installation: Linux/Unix, Windows, Mac; Getting started
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Workbenches, Preferences, Document structure, Interface Customization, Properties, Mouse Model; Tutorials
- Workbenches: Std Base; Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Plot, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Robot, Ship, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface workbench, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Scripting: Introduction to Python, FreeCAD scripting tutorial, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, How to install macros, Gui Command, Units Modules: Builtin modules, Workbench creation, Installing more workbenches Meshes: Mesh Scripting, Mesh Module Parts: The Part Module, Topological data scripting, PythonOCC, Mesh to Part Coin scenegraph: The Coin/Inventor scenegraph, Pivy Qt interface: PySide, Using the FreeCAD GUI, Dialog creation Parametric objects: Scripted objects Other: Code snippets, Line drawing function, Embedding FreeCAD, FreeCAD vector math library, Power users hub, Python, Macros, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, Topological data scripting