Purpose and principles
This is a development project to find, discuss and implement a more advanced STEP i/o in FreeCAD.
- reading/writing complex STEP files into Assembly data definition (with color and all the additional information).
First we need to colect all the information about the matter
The ISO 10303 (STEP) is very important in this field. Its the only good standardized and widely discussed and recognized definition of product structures I know of.
Here some links with info:
- ISO 10303 on Wikipedia
- WikiStep.org with a lot of basic info but mostly toward STEP-NC
- The product structure in STEP
- Some examples about STEP
- ISO 10303-11 about the modeling language (EXPRESS)
- A Wikipedia article about product modeling
- Overview of Part 41 -- Fundamentals of Product Description and Support
- Overview of Part 44 (edition 2) -- Product Structure Configuration
- Examples of small AP 214 files
- STEP validation models
- Interactive documentation with diagrams
OCC step i/o information
- collecting information and testing OCC STEP classes