Tool to split shapes by intersection with other shapes. For example, for a box and a plane, two solids are created.
On the picture above, the pieces were moved apart manually afterwards, to reveal the slicing.
Slice apart is the same as Part Slice followed by Part Explode Compound. While "Slice to compound" is fully-parametric, and causes no trouble as the number of pieces changes, "Slice apart" will not update the number of objects as the number of pieces changes.
They both create Slice parametric feature, that puts the sliced pieces into a compound, but "Slice apart" explodes the resulting compound into separate objects.
The output shape occupies the same space as the original. But it is split where it intersects with other shapes. The split pieces are individual pieces.
Please visit Part Slice page for more info.
Tree structure of Slice Apart
The Slice Apart command creates more than only the sliced object. In the following example a cube is sliced by a face.
The slice is created and for each piece of it there is a Part CompoundFilter created, thus the same slice occurs multiple times below each CompundFilter. All these CompoundFilters are united in a Compound.
Slice Apart was introduced in FreeCAD v0.18.15506. FreeCAD needs to be compiled with OCC 6.9.0 or later; otherwise, the tool is unavailable.
- Modifying objects: Booleans, Union, Common, Cut, Join features, Connect, Embed, Cutout
- Splitting tools: Boolean fragments, Slice a part, Slice, XOR, Part Defeaturing
- Compound: Make compound, Explode Compound, Compound Filter; Extrude, Fillet, Revolve, Section, Cross sections, Chamfer, Mirror, Ruled Surface, Sweep, Loft
- Offset tools: 3D Offset, 2D Offset, Thickness, Projection on surface
- Other tools: Import CAD, Export CAD, Shape from Mesh, Convert to solid, Reverse shapes, Create simple copy, Create transformed copy, Create shape element copy, Refine shape, Check geometry, Measure, Attachment
Example: making puzzle
Steps 5 and 6 can be done in single click using Part SliceApart
- Installation: Unix, Windows, Mac; Getting started
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Workbenches, Preferences, Document structure, Interface Customization, Properties, Mouse Model; Tutorials
- Workbenches: Std Base; Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Plot, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Robot, Ship, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface workbench, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Scripting: Introduction to Python, FreeCAD scripting tutorial, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, How to install macros, Gui Command, Units Modules: Builtin modules, Workbench creation, Installing more workbenches Meshes: Mesh Scripting, Mesh Module Parts: The Part Module, Topological data scripting, PythonOCC, Mesh to Part Coin scenegraph: The Coin/Inventor scenegraph, Pivy Qt interface: PySide, Using the FreeCAD GUI, Dialog creation Parametric objects: Scripted objects Other: Code snippets, Line drawing function, Embedding FreeCAD, FreeCAD vector math library, Power users hub, Python, Macros, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, Topological data scripting