|Meshes → Create Mesh from Shape|
|Introduced in version|
This command creates a mesh from a shape object.
There are two methods:
- Either select the shape object, then choose → from the top menu.
- Just selecting → will give you an additional menu to choose your shape to mesh.
In both cases you get a menu that asks for the mesher program to use and its settings.
The settings you make there will be stored and used as default for the next time you create a mesh from a shape. introduced in version 0.19.
You can choose one of these 3 mesher programs:
You can change these settings:
- Surface deviation: Maximal linear deflection of a mesh section from the surface of the object
- Angular deviation: Maximal angular deflection from one mesh section to the next section
- Relative surface deviation: If checked, the maximal linear deviation of a mesh segment will be the specified Surface deviation multiplied by the length of the current mesh segment (edge)
- Apply face colors to mesh: If checked, the mesh will get the face colors of the object
- Define segments by face colors: If checked, mesh segments will be grouped according to the color of the object faces. These groups will be exported for mesh output formats supporting this feature (e.g. the format OBJ).
The only setting is:
- Maximum edge length: If this number is smaller the mesh becomes finer. The smallest value is 0.
You can choose between mesh Fineness being:
- Very coarse
- Very fine
- User defined
- For this you can set these values:
- Mesh size grading: If this parameter is smaller, the mesh becomes finer. A value in the range of 0.1-1.
- Element per edge: If this parameter is larger, the mesh becomes finer. A value in the range of 0.2-10.
- Element per curvature radius: If this parameter is larger, the mesh becomes finer. A value in the range of 0.2-10.
For every Fineness you can also choose:
- Optimize surface: Whether an optimization of surface shape will be done.
- Second order elements: Whether second order elements will be generated.
- Quad dominated: Whether meshes will be arranged preferably using quadrilateral faces.
import FreeCAD, Draft, Arch, Mesh, MeshPart Line = Draft.makeWire([FreeCAD.Vector(0, 0, 0),FreeCAD.Vector(2000, 2000, 0)]) Wall = Arch.makeWall(Line, width=150, height=3000) FreeCAD.ActiveDocument.recompute() Shape = Wall.Shape.copy(False) Shape.Placement = Wall.getGlobalPlacement() mesh_obj = FreeCAD.ActiveDocument.addObject("Mesh::Feature", "Mesh") mesh_obj.Mesh = MeshPart.meshFromShape(Shape=Shape, MaxLength=520) mesh_obj.ViewObject.DisplayMode = "Flat Lines"
- Tutorial: Export_to_STL_or_OBJ