The image module manages different types of bitmap images, and lets you open them in FreeCAD.
Currently, the module lets you open .bmp, .jpg, .png and .xpm file formats in a separate viewer window.
- The image workbench also allows you to import an image on a plane in the 3D-space of FreeCAD with Image Import, the second button of the image workbench.
- The imported image can be attached like a sketch to one of the main three planes (XY/XZ/YZ) with positive or negative offset.
- This function is only available if you have opened a FreeCAD document.
- The image can be moved in 3D-space by editing the placement in the Property editor.
- The major use is tracing over the image, in order to generate a new part while using the image as a template.
- The image is imported with 1 pixel = 1mm.
* The recommendation is to have the imported image at a reasonable resolution.
- The image can be scaled by editing the "XSize" and "YSize" values in the Property editor.
- The image can be moved by editing the X/Y/Z-values in the Property editor.
- The image can be rotated around any axis by using the Property editor.
Tracing with sketcher elements over an image works best if the image has a small (negative) offset to the sketch plane.
You can set an offset of -0,1 mm at import or later by editing the placement of the image.