This tool converts a selected Mesh object into a Shape object. Note that this tool is optimized for objects with flat faces (no curves). The corresponding tool from the Part Workbench might be more suited for objects that contain curved surfaces.
How to use
- Select a mesh object.
- Press the Mesh to Shape entry in Arch → Utilities → Mesh to Shape.
See also: Arch API and FreeCAD Scripting Basics.
This tool can be used in macros and from the Python console by using the following function:
new_obj = meshToShape(obj, mark=True, fast=True, tol=0.001, flat=False, cut=True)
- Turns the given
obj, a mesh, into a shape, joining coplanar facets.
True, non-solid objects will be marked in red.
True it uses a faster algorithm by building a shell from the facets then removing splitter.
tol is the tolerance used when converting mesh segments to wires.
True it will force the wires to be perfectly planar, to be sure they can be turned into faces, but this might leave gaps in the final shell.
True holes in faces are made by subtraction.
import Arch, Mesh, BuildRegularGeoms
Box = FreeCAD.ActiveDocument.addObject("Mesh::Cube", "Cube")
Box.Length = 1000
Box.Width = 2000
Box.Height = 1000
new_obj = Arch.meshToShape(Box)
- Elements: Wall, Structure, Roof, Window, Door, Stairs, Space, Frame, Equipment; Pipe, Pipe Connector; Schedule
- Reinforcements: Rebar; Straight Rebar, UShape Rebar, LShape Rebar, Bent Shape Rebar, Stirrup Rebar, Helical Rebar
- Panels: Panel, Panel Cut, Panel Sheet, Nest
- Materials: Material, Multi-Material
- Organization: Site, Reference, Building, Floor, Building Part, Section Plane
- Axes: Axis, Axes system, Grid
- Utilities: Component, Clone component, Split Mesh, Mesh To Shape, Select non-solid meshes, Remove Shape, Close Holes, Merge Walls, Check, Ifc Explorer, Toggle IFC Brep flag, 3 Views from mesh, Create IFC spreadsheet, Toggle Subcomponents
- Additional: Preferences, Import-Export Preferences (IFC, DAE, OBJ, JSON, 3DS); Arch API
- Installation: Linux/Unix, Windows, Mac; Getting started
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Workbenches, Preferences, Document structure, Interface Customization, Properties, Mouse Model; Tutorials
- Workbenches: Std Base; Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Plot, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Robot, Ship, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface workbench, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Scripting: Introduction to Python, FreeCAD scripting tutorial, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, How to install macros, Gui Command, Units Modules: Builtin modules, Workbench creation, Installing more workbenches Meshes: Mesh Scripting, Mesh Module Parts: The Part Module, Topological data scripting, PythonOCC, Mesh to Part Coin scenegraph: The Coin/Inventor scenegraph, Pivy Qt interface: PySide, Using the FreeCAD GUI, Dialog creation Parametric objects: Scripted objects Other: Code snippets, Line drawing function, Embedding FreeCAD, FreeCAD vector math library, Power users hub, Python, Macros, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, Topological data scripting