FreeCAD, like many modern design applications such as Revit or CATIA, is based on the concept of Workbench. A workbench can be considered as a set of tools specially grouped for a certain task. In a traditional furniture workshop, you would have a work table for the person who works with wood, another one for the one who works with metal pieces, and maybe a third one for the guy who mounts all the pieces together.
- The Arch Workbench for working with architectural elements.
The Complete Workbench hold all commands and features from all the modules and workbenches which met certain quality criteria.Deprecated in v0.17
- The Draft Workbench contains 2D tools and basic 2D and 3D CAD operations.
- The Drawing Workbench for displaying your 3D work on a 2D sheet.
- The FEM Workbench provides Finite Element Analysis (FEA) workflow.
- The Image Workbench for working with bitmap images.
- The Inspection Workbench is made to give you specific tools for examination of shapes. It is still in development.
- The Mesh Workbench for working with triangulated meshes.
- The OpenSCAD Workbench for interoperability with OpenSCAD and repairing Constructive Solid Geometry (CSG) model history.
- The Part Workbench for working with CAD parts.
- The Part Design Workbench for building Part shapes from sketches.
- The Path Workbench is used to produce G-Code instructions. It is still in a stage of development.
- The Plot Workbench is used to edit and save output plots created from other modules and tools.
- The Points Workbench for working with point clouds.
- The Raytracing Workbench for working with ray-tracing (rendering)
- The Reverse Engineering Workbench is intended to provide specific tools to convert shapes/solids/meshes into parametric FreeCAD-compatible features. (under development)
- The Robot Workbench for studying robot movements.
- The Ship Workbench FreeCAD-Ship works over Ship entities, that must be created on top of provided geometry.
- The Sketcher Workbench for working with geometry-constrained sketches.
- The Spreadsheet Workbench for creating and manipulating spreadsheet data.
- The Start Center Workbench allows you to quickly jump to one of the most common workbenches.
- The Surface workbench provides tools to create and modify surfaces. It is similar as the Part Shape builder Face from edges.
- The TechDraw Workbench is the more advanced and feature-rich successor of Drawing
- The Test Framework Workbench is for debugging FreeCAD.
- The Web Workbench provides you with a browser window instead of the 3D-View within FreeCAD.