|Part → Create Primitives → Ellipsoid|
|Introduced in version|
A parametric Ellipsoid solid is available from the Create Primitives dialogue in the Part workbench.
The Create Primitives dialogue can be accessed via the CreatePrimitives icon located in the Part menu or the Part toolbar, in the Part Workbench.
The shape produced is limited in FreeCAD to being a solid (optionally truncated) spheroid, the shape you would create by rotating an ellipse around one of its axis. By default it is a oblate_spheroid, the shape you would create by rotating an ellipse around its minor axis. The parameters can be changed to form a prolate_spheroid.
The default spheroid in FreeCAD will have a circle for any cross section parallel to the xy plane. The cross section parallel to the other two planes will be an ellipse.
In mathematics, an Ellipsoid would have an elliptical cross section in all three planes.
- Radius 1, by default the minor radius parallel to the Z-axis,
- Radius 2, by default the major radius parallel to the XY plane, it is also the maximum radius of the circular cross section
- Angle 1, lower truncation of the ellipsoid, parallel to the circular cross section (-90 degrees in a full spheroid)
- Angle 2, upper truncation of the ellipsoid, parallel to the circular cross section (90 degrees in a full spheroid)
- Angle 3, angle of rotation of the elliptical cross section (360 degrees in a full spheroid)