The Defeaturing tool is intended for removal of selected features from the model. In this context, features are meant as holes, protrusions, gaps, chamfers, fillets etc. found on the model.
The defeaturing tool can be very useful in different contexts:
- To edit an imported solid where no history of operations is available;
- Fixing defects in the model, e.g. filling gaps, holes etc.
- Model simplification for numeric analysis, display on mobile devices, etc;
The removed features are filled by the extension of the adjacent faces, thus no unexpected parts should appear in the result. Please note that the result is a new shape that is not linked to the original; thus, it is non-parametric.
To be available, this tool requires FreeCAD to be based on Open Cascade 7.3.0 or greater. If it is not available in your version of FreeCAD, you may have a look at the Defeaturing Workbench add-on, which proposes similar functionality even with older versions of OCC or FreeCAD.
How to use
- Select the face(s) on the model to remove.
- Press the Defeaturing button.
- A new object is created labelled Defeatured in the Model tree, and the original object is hidden from view.
- 3D Model Defeaturing, the official announcement on the Open Cascade collaborative development portal.
- Freecad 0.18 Defeaturing, a video demonstration (in German) on a complex model on PeerTube; even without understanding the language, it is pretty easy to follow.
- Modifying objects: Booleans, Union, Common, Cut, Join features, Connect, Embed, Cutout
- Splitting tools: Boolean fragments, Slice a part, Slice, XOR, Part Defeaturing
- Compound: Make compound, Explode Compound, Compound Filter; Extrude, Fillet, Revolve, Section, Cross sections, Chamfer, Mirror, Ruled Surface, Sweep, Loft
- Offset tools: 3D Offset, 2D Offset, Thickness, Projection on surface
- Installation: Unix, Windows, Mac; Getting started
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Workbenches, Preferences, Document structure, Interface Customization, Properties, Mouse Model; Tutorials
- Workbenches: Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Plot, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Robot, Ship, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface workbench, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Scripting: Introduction to Python, FreeCAD scripting tutorial, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, How to install macros, Gui Command, Units Modules: Builtin modules, Workbench creation, Installing more workbenches Meshes: Mesh Scripting, Mesh Module Parts: The Part Module, Topological data scripting, PythonOCC, Mesh to Part Coin scenegraph: The Coin/Inventor scenegraph, Pivy Qt interface: PySide, Using the FreeCAD GUI, Dialog creation Parametric objects: Scripted objects Other: Code snippets, Line drawing function, Embedding FreeCAD, FreeCAD vector math library, Power users hub, Python, Macros, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, Topological data scripting