|Draft → Facebinder|
|Introduced in version|
|Part Box, Arch Wall|
The Facebinder tool creates a surface object from the selected faces of a solid object. It is parametric, meaning that if you modify the original object, the Facebinder updates accordingly. If you move and rotate the Facebinder, it will stay linked to the original faces.
It can be used to create an extrusion from a collection of faces from other objects. A typical use is in architectural design to build an object that covers several walls, for example, a wall paper, or wall finish.
Facebinder created from the faces of solid walls
How to use
- Pick one face, or hold and pick several faces, from solid objects.
- Press the button, or press then keys.
The Facebinder can be edited by double clicking on the element in the tree view. Then you can change the faces that are part of the object.
- To add a face, click on a face of a solid object in the 3D view, and then click on the button.
- To remove a face, select one of the sub-elements in the list, and then click on the button.
- Press or the button to complete the edition.
This object has no options when it's being created. Only selected faces will be used to create the Facebinder object.
- DATAExtrusion: specifies an extrusion thickness to apply to all faces of the shape.
- DATARemove Splitter: if it is it tries to fuse the internal intersections of the Facebinder when it extruded.
- DATASew: if it is it tries to perform a topological sewing operation on the Facebinder when it extruded.
- VIEWPattern: specifies a Draft Pattern with which to fill the face of the shape. This property only works if VIEWDisplay Mode is "Flat Lines".
- VIEWPattern Size: specifies the size of the Draft Pattern.
Facebinder = makeFacebinder(selectionset, name="Facebinder")
- Creates a
Facebinderobject from the given
selectionset, which is a list of
SelectionObjects such as those returned by
- Only selected faces are taken into account.
The thickness of the ShapeString can be added by overwriting its
Extrusion attribute; the value is entered in millimeters.
The placement of the ShapeString can be changed by overwriting its
Placement attribute, or by individually overwriting its
import FreeCAD, FreeCADGui, Draft # Insert a solid box Box = FreeCAD.ActiveDocument.addObject("Part::Box", "Box") Box.Length = 2300 Box.Width = 800 Box.Height = 1000 # Pick any two side faces, and then selection = FreeCADGui.Selection.getSelectionEx() Facebinder = Draft.makeFacebinder(selection) Facebinder.Extrusion = 50 FreeCAD.ActiveDocument.recompute() Facebinder.Placement.Base = FreeCAD.Vector(1000, -1000, 100) Facebinder.ViewObject.ShapeColor = (0.99, 0.99, 0.4)