Constructive solid geometry (CSG) is a modelling paradigm that is used in many traditional CAD systems. It essentially consists of using primitive solid objects and doing boolean operations with them, such as fusion, subtraction and intersection, in order to create a final shape.
In FreeCAD, this method is mostly utilized with the Part Workbench, which has the ability of creating primitive objects like boxes, cylinders, and spheres and fuse them together, or use them to cut other objects with tools like Part Cut. A PartDesign Body created with the PartDesign Workbench can also be used in a boolean operation with other objects.
Constructive solid geometry (CSG) workflow; any number of operations can be done on solid primitives to create other solid objects, and then fuse or cut them until the final shape is produced.
The PartDesign Workbench uses a more modern approach than simple CSG; this method is called feature editing, which means creating a base solid, and then adding sequential parametric transformations to obtain a final body.
Example of constructive solid geometry (CSG) workflow: primitive parts are fused (union); the intersection of two other primitive parts is calculated (common); the difference (cut) of the two previous shapes is obtained.
The tutorials page provides some examples on creating solids with the Part Workbench that use the CSG method.
- Modifying objects: Booleans, Union, Common, Cut, Join features, Connect, Embed, Cutout
- Splitting tools: Boolean fragments, Slice a part, Slice, XOR, Part Defeaturing
- Compound: Make compound, Explode Compound, Compound Filter; Extrude, Fillet, Revolve, Section, Cross sections, Chamfer, Mirror, Ruled Surface, Sweep, Loft
- Offset tools: 3D Offset, 2D Offset, Thickness, Projection on surface
- Other tools: Import CAD, Export CAD, Shape from Mesh, Convert to solid, Reverse shapes, Create simple copy, Create transformed copy, Create shape element copy, Refine shape, Check geometry, Measure, Attachment
- Installation: Unix, Windows, Mac; Getting started
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Workbenches, Preferences, Document structure, Interface Customization, Properties, Mouse Model; Tutorials
- Workbenches: Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Plot, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Robot, Ship, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface workbench, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Scripting: Introduction to Python, FreeCAD scripting tutorial, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, How to install macros, Gui Command, Units Modules: Builtin modules, Workbench creation, Installing more workbenches Meshes: Mesh Scripting, Mesh Module Parts: The Part Module, Topological data scripting, PythonOCC, Mesh to Part Coin scenegraph: The Coin/Inventor scenegraph, Pivy Qt interface: PySide, Using the FreeCAD GUI, Dialog creation Parametric objects: Scripted objects Other: Code snippets, Line drawing function, Embedding FreeCAD, FreeCAD vector math library, Power users hub, Python, Macros, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, Topological data scripting