The stairs tool allows you to build automatically several types of stairs. At the moment, only straight stairs (with or without a central landing) are supported. Stairs can be built from scratch, or from a straight line, in which case the stairs follow the line. If the line is not horizontal but has a vertical inclination, the stairs will also follow its slope.
See the Stairs entry in wikipedia for a definition of the different terms used to describe parts of stairs.
On the above image, two stairs were created, one with a massive structure and a landing, and another one with a single stringer.
How to use
- Press the Arch Stairs button, or press S, R keys
- Adjust the desired properties. Some parts of the stairs, such as the structure, might not appear immediately, if any of the properties makes it impossible, such as a structure thickness of 0.
- DATAAlign: The alignment of these stairs on their baseline, if applicable.
- DATABase: The baseline of these stairs, if any.
- DATAHeight: The total height of these stairs, if not based on a baseline, or the baseline is horizontal.
- DATALength: The total length of these stairs if no baseline is defined.
- DATAWidth: The width of these stairs.
- DATANosing: The size of the nosing.
- DATANumber of Steps: The numbers of steps (risers) in these stairs.
- DATARiser Height: The height of the risers.
- DATATread Depth: The depth of the treads.
- DATATread Thickness: The thickness of the treads.
- DATALandings: The type of landings.
- DATAStringer Offset: The offset between the border of the stairs and the structure.
- DATAStringer Width: The width of the stringers.
- DATAStructure: The type of structure of these stairs.
- DATAStructure Thickness: The thickness of the structure.
- DATAWinders: The type of winders.
Stairs can be created from python scripts and macros by using the following function:
makeStairs([base], [length], [width], [height], [steps])
- Creates a stairs object with the given attributes.
- Returns the new stairs object.
makeStairs(length=5, width=1.2, height=3, steps=14)
- Not available before FreeCAD version 0.14
- Only straight stairs are available at the moment
- See the forum entry for circle stairs.
- See the forum announcement.